Launching Autumn 2021
We are proud to have signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in taking purposeful action to reduce carbon emissions. Together we recognise that we are facing a climate disaster, and must take unified action in the travel industry to combat the threat.
At Travel Differently we are clear that tourism can have either a profoundly positive or negative impact on the planet, it's ecosystems, it's wildlife, and it's people, depending on whether sustainability and science are put ahead of profit and short-term gains. With the climate crisis becoming increasingly obvious and immediate in its threat, we want to state publicly that we recognise the emergency, and pledge to work with the wider travel industry in tackling the threat.
Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions:
1. Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ - We will create and formally adopt our action plan in 2021, setting out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
2. Share our Progress – We will release an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on our progress each year.
3. Cut Carbon Emissions - We accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030, in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We will ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
4. Spread The Message – We pledge to encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community
5. Advocate for change – We recognise the need for system change across the industry, and call for urgent action to accelerate a just transition towards carbon-free travel.
Please consider also declaring at www.tourismdeclares.com, and follow @tourismdeclares on Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin